Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Round-Up Wednesday: The Week's Smallest Reads and Other Things



 Hello fellow bookworms!



This is my very first 'round-up' Wednesday post.  Hope you enjoy seeing all the little misc. things I've done this week.

First we'll begin with some  creepy-great shorts I found (and read) from amazon.  They are a mix of paranormal, a few have some gothic elements (particularly The Doll), but the best thing is they are FREE as kindle downlaods...so go grab them!


The Doll

by J.C. Martin

The Island of the Dolls is a strange and eerie tourist destination in Mexico, where hundreds of decomposing dolls hang from trees like grisly Christmas ornaments. On a trip to the island, Joyce Parker's daughter falls in love with a beautiful but sinister doll. Soon after, she starts developing strange mannerisms that concerns Joyce. Her research into the doll's past reveals a dark history, and the curse of a lonely child spirit

Seriously LOVED this one.  You really gotta read it!.






Ghost Swim

by Sarah Brooke

Dark and still, the pool waits for Rachel Blanchard. She's about to dive in for an evening swim, but the waters may not be as empty as they appear. Deep within, something is waiting. And it doesn't want to her to leave. Ever.

This one was short and sweet...but worth the download.  Brooke also has some great-looking gothic-romance novels that are on my to-be-read list if you want to check her out on amazon!










The Pit Stop

by Carmen DeSousa

The Pit Stop (This Stop Could be Life or Death) is a nine-thousand-word short story by bestselling romantic-suspense author Carmen DeSousa. It's a quick one-hour read, but never fear, you can jump back into the life of Detective Mark Waters in The Depot (When Life and Death Cross Tracks).

When what seems like a normal pit stop turns to more than just gas and food, a lost couple finds themselves searching for the truth of a twenty-year-old mystery that may cost them their life.

This was a pretty well-written little novella with lots of paranormal aspects.  The main character was a male so it does deviate quite a bit from Gothic Romance.  It's still captivating and worth the read if you like creepy/scary stories.


Also this week while I was browsing, I came across a really great website that offers up lists and challenge list for different things and genres (movies, books, etc).  It's called List Challenges and has quite a few gothic-romance and paranormal-romance related lists, you just got to do the searches.  

Oh, and I don't want to forget to talk about Goodreads.  Seriously, I think I'm becoming obsessed, but I suppose there's much worse things to be addicted to than books, eh?  Anyway, in the Gothic Literature group we are reading Lady Audley's Secret for the month of June book discussion.  I got my version free for the Kindle (can we say another addiction?), so you can go grab yours and join us if you'd like!  I'm having way too much fun with that website, it's almost sinful!

I have also added quite a few new titles to my Gothic Romance e-book list on Open Library.  In my list now is 615 gothic romance e-books free for download!  Free!  Some of these books cost an arm and a leg on Amazon and Ebay so go take advantage!  I have a program where I can download mine straight to my tablet and read away just like on a Kindle...or the Kindle app.  Yes, that simple.  I think I'll do a future blog post on how easy this is to do.  Don't ever think because they are ebooks that you are limited to reading pdf's on your computer!  You're not!

I hope you are enjoying the first few installments of House of Hollow Wind.  I'm a poet usually, so don't judge too harshly.  Though I do think it's developing pretty decently.  You can't complain, it's free as well!

Ah, but that concludes my good news for you.  More great posts scheduled for the rest of the week.

Now go grab yourselves some free reads and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...