Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Round-Up Wednesday

So, it's been a while since I did a round-up post.  That's not to say I haven't been doing tons of stuff, just really lacked the time to throw one together.

Anyway, in the past weeks I've found quite a few gothic-romance treats.  We'll start with the ebook collections on Amazon.  There's literally hundreds of megapacks sporting classic horror, gothic, mystery, female-sleuth-type stories (you know, the kind we love).  I grabbed a few of those last week:






I won't go into great detail describing them.  They are pretty self-explanatory.  And for just .99 cents each, what can you lose?  They also have a collection of Wilkie Collins gothic romance books and a collection of scary Victorian stories...I think those are next on my list of Kindle buys!  They are worth checking out, anyway, especially if you are a GR fan or a fan or horror/mystery/suspense.  Many of the stories/books were published between the 1930's and 1960's.  

I also made a great find at my local Goodwill (thrift shops and second-hand shops are exceptional for those hard to find vintage books and other misc. things you might have to otherwise order/buy online).


I am a lover of the old vintage, mystery-type TV shows.  Boris Karloff's are reminiscent of the old Chiller and Thriller shows, as well as Alfred Hitchcock Presents (only to name a few, I actually have a more in-depth post planned specifically to outline these TV shows later on).  But for a mere $7, I got this whole boxed set.  I may later review some of my favorite episodes as I watch them.

And, as you know if you've read the blog previously, I've been in the middle of moving these past couple of weeks.  I actually put my complete Gothic Romance collection (nearly 1000 books) in storage and am planning to read what's on my Kindle and my Open Library lists before I unload my beloved collection.  So, lots of reviews coming this year straight from my ebook reading!  Don't fear, though, I still plan on finding photo's of those lovely, creepy vintage book covers we all lose ourselves in.

But, as I was saying, I purchased a few books this week from the thrift shop (can't refuse a good find, right?).  I'm particularly fond of one I found, Phantom of the Opera, and have begun to read it.  It's a bit tedious here and there (being written in the early 1900's) but so far it's a pretty creepy, engaging read.

This, of course, is a first edition, in French.  My copy looks sorta the same, only in English.



Also, please don't forget to read my interview with Poet's United (a beloved community for poets and writers).  Unless many of you don't know, I do write and publish poetry and have lots going on in my personal blog.

I invite you to visit them both.  I do mention my Gothic Romance blog in my interview and am always willing to do what I can to keep the timeless gothic alive and thriving.  

So, that about wraps up this little round-up. 

Until next time, I wish you happy reading, and writing, and gothic-romancing.

1 comment:

  1. Great resource here Stacy! I love this stuff. :) Alyne de Winter

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...