Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Dark Shadows: The Original, Episode 1

My name is Victoria Winters.  My journey is beginning.  A journey I hope will open the doors of life to me and link my past with my future.  A journey that will bring me to a strange and dark place.  To the edge of the sea, high atop Widows Hill.  A house called Collinwood.  A world I've never known, with people I've never met.  People who are, tonight, still only shadows in my mind but who will soon fill the days and nights of my tomorrows.






The episode begins with Victoria Winters arriving at Collinsport, Maine via train.  She seems rather frightened/nervous.  Not even an elderly lady she rides beside on the train gives her much hope, as the town seems a bleak oasis plopped into the middle of nowhere.  Obviously no place for a young lady who may be seeking excitement or others of similar age.




As she awaits to arrange for a ride to the old house, she is met with a young man by the name of Burke Devlin, and he warns her:  "Welcome to the beginning and the ending of the world, Miss Winters."




As she has a bite to eat at the hotel restaurant, she is befriended by the young waitress, Laney Evans, who doesn't have anything positive to add to the dreary description Victoria has heard about the mansion on the hill.

Laney:  They own the biggest, darkest, gloomiest old house.  And they're kooks.  Every one of them.

Victoria:  You make it sound like some old English novel with rattling chains and ghosts in the corridors.

Laney:  You think that's wrong?  I could tell you things about that house that would rock you from here all the way back to the railroad station.

Victoria:  Well I'd rather not hear them.



Devlin is in town to investigate the Collins family.  He meets with a private investigator at the Blue Whale, a local eatery and hangout.



We also learn that Elizabeth Collins Stoddard hasn't left the house on Widows Hill for over 18 years!  Makes one wonder why she sticks around so vigilantly. 



At last, Victoria arrives and is met by  stone-faced Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...