Saturday, January 23, 2016

"The Dark Doctor" by Stella Noir & J.B. Duvane (A Short Review)

Published:  2015
Setting:  Modern Day

Back Cover Synopsis:

Abby thought she was running away from her problems, but she wound up running into the arms of her worst nightmare.

“…from this point forward your will is no longer your own. You belong to me.”

I thought I had found the perfect guy. Jake was handsome and sexy and had eyes that could get me to do just about anything. The problem? The thought of being in love scared the hell out of me, so I called it quits and ran before I got in any deeper, driving off into a crazy winter storm. When I woke up the next day I was in a strange hospital and slowly came to the realization that I was being drugged and held there against my will…by my ex-boyfriend Jake. He claims he’s someone else though…a doctor in this dark, creepy private hospital in the middle of nowhere…but I know it’s him, and I don’t know how I’m going to get out of here.

This is a standalone novel of 44,000 words with dark sexual themes of kidnapping, nightmares and insanity.
 


I enjoyed this novella.   And although it does have some of the typical gothic elements, I would not categorize it as a gothic romance.  I think this story falls more beneath the dark horror gothic theme as it includes very dark sexual themes (think 50 Shades of Grey) and is most definitely a rated 'R' read so it doesn't have that sweet, clean mystery feel of a vintage gothic.  I didn't much care for the head jumping of the story, particularly how it only began toward the end which made it a little confusing and seemed to almost disrupt the turn of events.   I don't usually read books this dark but I have to say that it was just interesting, creepy, and bizarre enough to keep me turning the pages so I read it in almost one sitting.   The writing is of good quality and is atmospheric enough to almost make you shiver.  If you're looking for dark, disturbing, and creepy...this is your read!

Best Gothic Elements:  kidnapping, bizarre hospital wards, being held against one's will, food being poisoned or drugged, dark family secrets, mistaken identity, huge rambling mansion in the middle of nowhere, an insane doctor, a car accident that leaves the damsel helpless



My Rating:
4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...